It develops themes that include:
- the abuse crisis and its relationship to power within the structures of a Church called to be a Servant.
- how this resonates with the way laity experiences the institutional church – namely one of being subject to power, not of liberation.
- how the institutional church's attitudes emerge in notions of priesthood
- how we are all called to move beyond how we are formed by our own backgrounds, to change by the grace of the Spirit.
- how priests living and working in the Vatican have particular challenges to overcome.
- the need for renewal in the hierarchy, and in the selection and formation of priests
We live in interesting times! The need for prayer for renewal of ourselves and all the Church, which Peter's letter assumes, only grows more evident as we begin to forge vision for reorganisation of our structures. Some of Peter's thoughts that in 2010 would have seemed challenging and critical are mild compared to what Pope Francis has said and written since. Some anticipated what the Holy Father has done. Some are still provocative and/or visionary..... what do you think?!
(Click on the word “Comments” at top or bottom of this to read others' responses,and to add your own.)